Thursday, August 25, 2011

Welcome to the 21st Century!

Whether you like it or not, students have changed over the years and as a result so SHOULD teachers.  Unfortunately this isn't always the case.  For a student to be successful in the 21st century, he or she must be able to communicate, collaborate, use technology, be flexible, and the list goes on!

So in order for my kiddos to be prepared, they need a prepared teacher.  Am I up for the challenge?  OF COURSE! While technology skills are just being formed in first grade, I do my best to expose them to programs such as Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.  I teach them how to get on the internet and once they get to my moodle site, they are met with tons of educational links to help them explore (safely) online. 

In order for me to help my kids be prepared for the 21st century, I know I have to be willing to learn new tricks and I must also be flexible in my teaching.  I feel like my strengths are in teaching the students to work with one another and to communicate.  I do a LOT of group work with my little ones and we spend each morning during morning meeting talking and listening.  These are vital skills! I feel like my weakness lies in allowing them to jump into technology on their own.  It's so overwhelming to introduce all these computer things to the kids because in the beginning they are SO NEEDY and it's just me trying to run around and troubleshoot 25 different computers.  I know it's worth it in the long run and once the kids get the hang of things it's great to see how excited they are, but getting to that point can be a nightmare and I often get scared and push things like that off.  (For example, we are now in week 3 of school and I'm yet to take my little ones to the computer lab....I just keep waiting for that day I'm super ambitious.  It's coming....I promise!).

Do my students leave my classroom equipped for success using 21st century skills?  Hmm....I feel like my students leave my classroom with the best grasp they can have on these skills by the age of 7.  Do all of my kids work together effectively?  Can each of them communicate exactly what is going on in their little minds at each moment?  Are they "fluent" in powerpoint?  NOT SO MUCH!  But are all high schoolers capable of those things?  I feel like I do my part to set them up with a strong foundation and I know I put them in good hands as I send them on their way to 2nd grade. :-)

1 comment:

  1. What a challenge. I couldn't imagine teaching a classroom of 1st graders skills on the computer. I'm sure they get excited, but have many questions. But, if you look at it from another perspective, it's fun and exciting. Like you said, you have to be really ambitious the first day they go to the computer lab. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete